17 thoughts on “Let the rain come

• Christine says:

I’ve never written a shaped poem like this before! It always seemed so contrived. I was aiming for a lanterne, but Rowan tells me I missed the mark a bit. (I was also aiming for a gargleblaster, but this doesn’t really answer the question.)

• Silverleaf says:

I had to look up lanterne, too. And now I have a whole new poetic form to try to learn. I can maybe see that it doesn’t answer the question (which is ok because it’s just so beautiful!), but having read the definition of lanterne, I’m not sure how it doesn’t follow those rules. Teach me, oh wise ones 🙂

1. Stacie says:

This is beautiful. But I’m not sure I get the each line standing on its own thing. I guess with one word it’s automatic but with more words it needs to be a sentence? Or what?

• Christine says:

That was my problem too! I couldn’t even find any good examples online. I made Rowan give me an example:

Leaves
      pale green
      delicate
      swaying softly
      Spring

My stanzas are sentences, broken up across lines. It’s supposed to be more like a haiku, sort of? To set a mood, rather than straight up tell a story? I’m not sure. I’ll be thinking on this for a while.

2. Shannon says:

Well kudos to you for always trying new things in your writing, especially as it’s a boon to those who read them. I still remember the very first piece of yours that I read AGES ago, and you e not yet posted something that didn’t make me say daaaammmnnn when I was done. Loved the last stanza.

3. Asha says:

This is fabulous! The form/shape, the rhythm, the choice of words. Delicious. “I promise if you stay I will make you cry” — wow! What an opener. Stunning.